Friday, February 2, 2007

And today's Zen Proverb is...

Life is like stepping onto a boat that is about to sail out to sea and sink.
-Shunryu Suzuki

My english professor aptly opens class each day with a new zen proverb, hoping beyond probability that our functioningminds will glean enlightenment from these quotations. This one, for example, makes me think that life's going to give me constant ear infections. Or, if related to the gospel, we must cling to the idea of a Tritanic God, because if there's nothing beyond the haze of water we're all just dead anyhow.

On the boy front, clouds are pulling in.

2 comments:

Stephie said...

I have this one saying from Tao Te Ching in the front of my notebooks that says "Give up learning(formal education) and put an end to your troubles." It makes me happy. Also you know that I am going to have to ask you what you mean about the clouds, right? because it's totally obscure to one such as I.

chris said...

Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish.

- Siddhartha
Hermann Hesse